[T3] Wheel Alignment

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed Sep 18 10:35:58 PDT 2013

I'm taking the '69 Square into the tire shop on Thursday, 9/19.
The car is definitely "pulling" to the right.  Even on a "crowned road"
which has left leaning surface.

Last time when they did the tire rotation, they didn't know to use the
hubcap puller and round, tire iron bar to remove the hubcaps and beauty
rings.  I posted that they probably screwed up, "cracked" the surface of one
(1) beauty ring anodizing.

I will pull the hubcaps and beauty rings, so THAT won't happen again!

Question:
Is the Bentley Book, (Chapter 7, page 37, Wheel Alignment Specifications),
thorough about the caster, camber, toe-in settings?

I'm pretty sure the tire shop hasn't seen a 1969 (44 year old VW) Type 3 in
many years.

I also have the small, "VW Service Without Guesswork" book which shows the
wheel alignment specs for a Type 3 on page 70.  Is this more accurate
information?

I haven't checked if the information between The Bentley and the Service
Without Guesswork is the same.  But I'll compare the specs, before I take
the car in to the tire shop.

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)

Gary our school just got the new version of shop key which is an extensive
on line shop manual that covers 1960-2014 domestic and import.  They have
those specks for our cars. I can send you a copy of late 60s early 70s VWs
if you want a third source to compare.

Dennis Stiefel