[T3] Wheel Alignment

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Sep 18 13:08:46 PDT 2013

On 18 Sep 2013 at 12:03, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Question:
> Is the Bentley Book, (Chapter 7, page 37, Wheel Alignment Specifications),
> thorough about the caster, camber, toe-in settings?

I think everything is there, but there's one trick that you must tell
the shop: The notch on the lower ball joint must be left pointing
forward; only the top ball joint is to be adjusted.

When I do things like this, I make a copy of the relevant page and
give it to them.

One caveat on the specs: radial tires work better with less camber
than bias tires. Shoot for the lower end of the camber spec, or even
a little lower. The toe-in compensates for the camber, so reducing
the camber requires also reducing the toe-in.

Our caster angle is not separately adjustable.

> I also have the small, "VW Service Without Guesswork" book which shows the
> wheel alignment specs for a Type 3 on page 70.  Is this more accurate
> information?
>
> I haven't checked if the information between The Bentley and the Service
> Without Guesswork is the same.  But I'll compare the specs, before I take
> the car in to the tire shop.

I've never compared them either, but I'd expect them to be the same.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org