[T3] Noise from front end/wheel

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Sep 20 17:33:49 PDT 2013

I got a clonk-clonk sound which I thought was coming from one particular
corner.  I stopped and checked the lug nuts on three wheels, but one was a
bit too close to the kerb to get the hub-cap off.  The others weren't loose.
When I got to the informal club meeting, 3 friends climbed in and we went
off to try to work out where the noise was coming from, and of course it was
the wheel I hadn't been able to check before!  The best guess was that
re-painting the wheels had left a thin layer of new paint, that was still on
the wheel, stopping the lug bolts tightening fully.  Some corrugations on
the freeway had loosened things enough to make the one wheel move enough  -
4 per revolution I expect.

It is possible for a higher-pitched noise to occur once ot twice per
revolution when the hubcap isn't tight - if it turns on the wheel, turn it
until it grips firmly.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club