[T3] Noise from front end/wheel

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Sep 20 20:52:40 PDT 2013

In a message dated 9/20/2013 11:13:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jacob.schroeder at gmail.com writes:

I jacked up my car, spun the driver's side wheel, and found that  one of the
bolts holding my front driver's side caliper to the car had come  off.
Thus, the clanging sound I heard was the caliper wobbling  around.  Because
the noise started on the highway, there is no way  I'll be able to find that
bolt again -- and I don't feel bad for not  searching I-280 before I drove
off.  So I'm down one of  these.

I plan to zip over to Bugformance tomorrow to see if they have  a
replacement for me.  Are these the same as on the bug?  If I  cannot locate
one locally tomorrow, does anybody here have a replacement  they'd be
willing to sell me?  Also, because I plan to hit all of  these with a torque
wrench, what should these be torqued  to?

You  might try KGPR (Karmann Ghia Parts and Restorations), or their siste
company  Air Head Parts, as the KG uses similar calipers to a type 3.
Bugformance might  have 1, but they might have to break into a kit to get you one.
You're also  going to need the locking plate for the caliper bolts. The
torque for those  bolts is 29 Ft lbs. It's an M10 bolt (no length given) The
locking plate is  just barely shown in Bentley, on page 18 of Brakes and
Wheels, in figure 7-16,  and on page 22, figure 7-27, part number 14 in the
picture. I hope this helps.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction