[T3] Crabby Carbs

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Sep 22 21:28:45 PDT 2013

On 22 Sep 2013 at 20:32, Keith Park wrote:

> I had the Crate running pretty well, but not quite there... so I went up one
> more jet size (2 total) and was tweaking things out when stuff started going
> downhill...
> I put the previous jets in (one size up) and its awful again...  now maybe
> they switched back to the winter blend and moved my cheese, but when Im
> heavy into the throttle its just falling on its face.

I get the impression that your problems are changing in ways that
aren't really related to the carb changes you're making. That make me
wonder if the cause is something outside the carbs. How about some of
these possibilities? There must be others, but this is what I can
think of at the moment.

Ignition related:

Check the SP connector resistances.

Check the rotor resistance.

Fouled plugs? I know that's really rare these days, but if this seems
to be warmup related, try another set.

Could the coil be failing? Try another.

Could the points pivot be sticky? Put a tiny drop of oil on it.
If that's the '65 dist, polish the points pivot shaft.

Intermittent electrical power from the ig sw to the coil? Vibration
related?

And, in the fuel related arena:

Low fuel delivery due to a clogged filter screen? Watch the fuel
pressure under load, while you're experiencing the trouble. Is there
a filter in this pump, as well as the one at the tank outlet.

That's all I can think of. It could be one of these, or it could be
something else. I'm just trying to make the point that it's dangerous
to assume the problem is where you expect it to be.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org