[T3] Max rpm

Brian Fye bfye at canyonville.net
Fri Apr 4 10:57:55 PDT 2014

I used to have a singlecab dp 1600 that lived at 4200 on the freeway.
pedal to the floor, 4.37r&p and 64mph.  it could do that all day,
everyday.  personal experience says only be there IF you have to be
though.  had it had a 4.125 trans it would have been slower off the line
but the 64mph would have been easier on the engine.  it never over heated,
or complained, but i like lower rpm on long drives...

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Adriel Rowley <adriel_rowley at hotmail.com>wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 10:46:52 -0700
> > From: bfye at canyonville.net
> > To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> > Subject: Re: [T3] Max rpm
> >
> > The stock engine's max torque band is below 4000 rpm, so shifting more
> than
> > 2-300 rpm above that doesn't help at all. Cruising on a bone stock engine
> > at 4200 rpm all day long can be done, but that does tax the valve
> springs...
> >
> Ah, very good to know, though one has to go dark and instal a tachometer!
> ;p
>

> Thank you so very much!
> Adriel

Brian Fye