[T3] Video log update

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Apr 6 09:20:50 PDT 2014

On 6 Apr 2014 at 8:25, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> I have not done an update to the video log since I started driving
> Clementine and have had some people ask to do one so here it is.  Sorry I
> kind of ramble in this one had a few brain farts.
>
> http://youtu.be/NS0dosce8sk

She looks awfully nice, Dennis. We're all really proud of you. I
didn't realize that you just barely won the auction. Whatever you had
to pay was worth it. Sounds like Keith is fixing Sapphire radios now.
That will be a good thing to get right.

I noticed a couple things you might want to think about. Your engine
is missing its rear "handle." It's not an essential part, and it
looks like you've got a bolt in there, which IS essential, but if
you're shootin' to get everything right, you ought to have one. They
do come in handy any time you're trying to muscle an engine in or
out. I probably have one of those, with the correct bolt and washers,
somewhere.

Also, I couldn't be sure from the video, but it looked like you might
be missing the whitish plastic washers that go under the mirror
locknuts. Those serve to keep the locknuts from chipping the paint
and they also seal water out. I have decent subs for those.

As far as the cold miss goes, I doubt if it's the temp sensor. People
always jump on those, but in my experience they are almost never to
blame unless they are completely open or shorted. Have you checked
the resistance of the plug wires and connectors, as well as the
rotor?

Is the aux air regulator (AAR) opening when the engine is cold? The
way to check this is to start the engine when cold then pull the air
cleaner hose off and stop it with your thumb. If the AAR is open, the
idle should drop. If it's closed, the idle won't change. Open or
closed, you'll feel vacuum there, so feeling for vacuum tells you
nothing. You can do this with the engine warm or cold to verify that
the AAR is opening and closing normally.

It's possible that the AAR is sticky and is staying closed as your
engine cools down after shutoff. That would make the cold idle rough.
Then when you start it up next, it's still closed, but engine warmth
and vibration let it slip open in a minute or so. I can refurbish
sticky mechanical AARs and make them work freely again. The
electrically heated AARs that came on AT cars '70-on are sealed and I
can't do anything with them.

If your cold running problem is not just at idle, then the AAR is not
the problem. If not, try a very tiny drop of oil on the ignition
points pivot. Sometimes those get sticky and fail to let the points
drop down quickly enough when they are cold.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org