[T3] Video log update

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sun Apr 6 10:07:56 PDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2014 11:21 AM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Video log update

On 6 Apr 2014 at 8:25, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> I have not done an update to the video log since I started driving
> Clementine and have had some people ask to do one so here it is.
> Sorry I kind of ramble in this one had a few brain farts.
>
> http://youtu.be/NS0dosce8sk

She looks awfully nice, Dennis. We're all really proud of you. I didn't
realize that you just barely won the auction. Whatever you had to pay was
worth it. Sounds like Keith is fixing Sapphire radios now.
That will be a good thing to get right.

I noticed a couple things you might want to think about. Your engine is
missing its rear "handle." It's not an essential part, and it looks like
you've got a bolt in there, which IS essential, but if you're shootin' to
get everything right, you ought to have one. They do come in handy any time
you're trying to muscle an engine in or out. I probably have one of those,
with the correct bolt and washers, somewhere.

Also, I couldn't be sure from the video, but it looked like you might be
missing the whitish plastic washers that go under the mirror locknuts. Those
serve to keep the locknuts from chipping the paint and they also seal water
out. I have decent subs for those.

As far as the cold miss goes, I doubt if it's the temp sensor. People always
jump on those, but in my experience they are almost never to blame unless
they are completely open or shorted. Have you checked the resistance of the
plug wires and connectors, as well as the rotor?

Is the aux air regulator (AAR) opening when the engine is cold? The way to
check this is to start the engine when cold then pull the air cleaner hose
off and stop it with your thumb. If the AAR is open, the idle should drop.
If it's closed, the idle won't change. Open or closed, you'll feel vacuum
there, so feeling for vacuum tells you nothing. You can do this with the
engine warm or cold to verify that the AAR is opening and closing normally.

It's possible that the AAR is sticky and is staying closed as your engine
cools down after shutoff. That would make the cold idle rough.
Then when you start it up next, it's still closed, but engine warmth and
vibration let it slip open in a minute or so. I can refurbish sticky
mechanical AARs and make them work freely again. The electrically heated
AARs that came on AT cars '70-on are sealed and I can't do anything with
them.

If your cold running problem is not just at idle, then the AAR is not the
problem. If not, try a very tiny drop of oil on the ignition points pivot.
Sometimes those get sticky and fail to let the points drop down quickly
enough when they are cold.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Yes the radio will be a good thing as that Hyundai unit sticks out like a
sore thumb. I've done a fairly thorough job looking at the AAR. It seems to
be opening and closing as the engine warms up like it should plus it a rough
run no matter if it idling or mid or high range RPMs. It only dose this the
first minute or two it runs from being cranked cold then after that runs
great. I will check those things. The plug wires are new Bosh but you never
know with some of the new stuff.  That would be nice if I could fix it with
a few drops of oil on the area of the points you are talking about. I've
been trying to located the handle you are talking about. That engine came
out of the parts car and had AC on it. I think the dealer may have pitched
it when they put the brackets for the compressor on it. Any way it was
missing when I got it and yes they do come in handy during engine removal
and installation as I remember using it back in the day.  I think I could
make one if I had one to look at.  Bug-a-Palüza in Chattanooga Tennessee
(about 60 miles from here) will be here next weekend.  It's one of the
bigger VW shows here in the southeast so I will keep my eyes peeled for one
then.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle