[T3] Type 4 Cam Recommendation

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue Apr 8 16:38:06 PDT 2014

Crew,

I am slowly getting together the parts for my type 4 build. The case is
getting align bored now. I have found a set of 2.0 crank and rods. I have
also found another 1.8 head to go with the one I got with the engine.

Ahh, I hope you got your bearings a while ago, you can no longer get
oversized case bearings for the T4.

Now I need to start deciding on a cam. Here are the specs,

96mm piston and cylinder set.
Dell 40's
8-8.5 compression for pump gas use
Stock 1.8 heads

Invest in the 2L heads, your HP is in your heads and they breath MUCH
better.

71mm stroke with stock rods
All inside my automatic squareback at around 2200 lb.
It does have a type 4 torque converter in it. I don't know if the stall is
the same between type 3 and 4.

Most recommendations have been for a web 73 or 494. I just don't know enough
to make an informed decision. I am looking for low end torque and longevity.
I'm not interested in racing or going 100 mph. 22 mpg + would also be nice.
All brands will be considered.

Web 73 is the usual recommendation, Raby has a tweak on that but his cam and
lifters are over $500.  22MPG even on the highway is pushing it, and make
SURE your not running too lean, use an AFR to set up your carbs.

Keith

Adam