[T3] Ford Ranger Fuel Pump, e2000 modifications

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Apr 15 05:30:14 PDT 2014

On 15 Apr 2014 at 0:10, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/14/2014 4:30:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> jadney at vwtype3.org writes:
>
> The Ford pump will work, but you'll need to
> redo the plumbing  and cut off the VW electrical plug.
>
> No, you just push the release tabs down (with a flattened welding wire or
> thin screw driver), and pull the wire ends out of the plug, and just plug
> them  into the new pump. Or, you add new ends to the supplied wires, and plug
> them  into the VW plug. Both ways will work. The replacement "ford" pump has
> the  connections marked + and -.

Okay, but you still lose the advantage of the polarized VW plug. Now
it's up to you to get the polarity right.

I still think sticking to the OE style pump is preferable, but I'll
admit that this has a lot to do with just keeping things original.

BTW, why do you move the pump to the center of the beam? Does this
help the hose routing in some way?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org