[T3] Automatic Conversion

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Fri Apr 18 10:42:23 PDT 2014

I am still working on my type 4 conversion. It seems the sticking point with
the conversion continues to be the automatic transmission. One of the
biggest sticking points is with vacuum signal for the shift module. It is
effecting cam choice, and my current DRLA setup is less than optimal and
could get worse with type 4.

It was brought to my attention that the later vanagon used a different type
of shift module (one that used RPM and throttle position) instead of one
like I currently have (that uses RPM and vacuum). How hard would it be to
modify my car to use the later vanogan shift setup?

Remember, I have never even laid eyes on the later unit. It is just an idea
I am throwing around.

Or does anyone have a rust-free, almost fully rebuilt 69 or older Squareback
with a manual that they are willing to trade for my automatic Squareback?
(said in Jest, but anything is possible if they were in the same condition)

Adam

If I'm understanding what you are saying.  It sounds like the vanogan uses a
TV cable (throttle valve cable) is instead of a vacuum modulator.  If that's
all it is then I'm sure you could just figure out a way to hook up the TV
cable to the throttle body or carburetor whichever one you have.  Of course
the final drive is going to have a different gear ratio but you probably
already know that.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle