[T3] Automatic Conversion

Adam Douglass one4house at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 10:13:52 PDT 2014

I am still working on my type 4 conversion. It seems the sticking point with the conversion continues to be the automatic transmission. One of the biggest sticking points is with vacuum signal for the shift module. It is effecting cam choice, and my current DRLA setup is less than optimal and could get worse with type 4.

It was brought to my attention that the later vanagon used a different type of shift module (one that used RPM and throttle position) instead of one like I currently have (that uses RPM and vacuum). How hard would it be to modify my car to use the later vanogan shift setup?

Remember, I have never even laid eyes on the later unit. It is just an idea I am throwing around.

Or does anyone have a rust-free, almost fully rebuilt 69 or older Squareback with a manual that they are willing to trade for my automatic Squareback? (said in Jest, but anything is possible if they were in the same condition)

Adam