[T3] Diff Rebuild Kit (Jim?)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Apr 19 09:27:48 PDT 2014

On 18 Apr 2014 at 10:18, Adam Douglass wrote:

> I am posting this for someone going through differential woes over in the UK.
>
> "Hi all, new to this mailing list so don´t really have a clue what I´m
> doing! Anyway, I have ATF in my diff so want to overhaul the diff with
> new seals including the pinion shaft seal and governor seal too as
> these are the 2 suspects for letting ATF fluid in! I´m in the UK and
> most kits I see are in the USA and also a full automatic rebuild kit
> which I don't really need?(unless it was a good price?and worth
> doing!)

Posting to the list can seem intimidating, but it's really simple.
You just send an email to the list address and the "list server" will
receive that email and forward it to all the email addresses that are
registered on our list. Note that the server will only forward mail
that comes from registered users, so you can't do this from an
address other than the one you registered.

I have the full AT gasket kits, but I'm not sure if you really need
them or if they include the seals that you're after. They contain a
multitude of paper gaskets, rubber O-rings, and all the simple rubber
lip seals that are used in the valve body. There may not be any of
the kinds of things we generally think of as "seals," with the steel
backing and the garter spring. I can check if you're really
interested.

You should read the Bentley manual AT chapter carefully. There is one
seal between the AT and the diff that VW changed their mind about and
installed in a different direction after some date. I'm not sure when
that happened, but the change was made to keep one of the fluids from
crossing over. That's all covered in the Bentley.

> Any help would be appreciated, Mark"
>
> He is new to the list and waiting for approval. I think he will be
> able to find the seals locally, but he would need the differential
> gasket and such. (Jim) How much would it be to get the diff rebuild
> kit you sold me over to him? Or do we have a source over there for the
> rebuild kits with the gasket?

I don't think shipping one of those kits would be that expensive to
ship to England, probably under $20, because they're pretty light.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org