[T3] Wiper motor

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Apr 19 19:59:27 PDT 2014

On 19 Apr 2014 at 20:47, Jaz Jarzewiak wrote:

> I was driving through the light rain back from a pinball open house,
> and at some point, about ten minutes from home, my passenger side
> wiper decided to flip over to face the right, and it wouldn't come
> back. Looking back, it probably would have been a good idea to turn
> off the wipers to keep the motors from running, but they were going
> until I parked. I tried turning the wiper back and turning on
> accessory power to try to see if it would run again, and although the
> drivers side worked fine, the passenger just wiggled a bit.
>
> Any idea what happened, and the best way to fix it?

The early wiper arms were just attached to the shafts with set
screws, and that attachment was always troublesome. For '68-9 the
shaft was 8 mm, but earlier shafts were only 6 mm. VW actually had a
recall that replaced the set screw wiper arms with a pinch clamp
style. Those worked well. You will have to look at your arms to see
which style you have.

If you have the pinch clamp style, you just need to tighten the pinch
bolt. If you still have the original set screw version, you will
probably need to file a small flat on the shaft for the set screw to
bear against. This is difficult, because the flat has to be in
exactly the right place, or the wiper won't face in the correct
direction. Work slowly and check your work often.

You could also be on the lookout for a pair of the 6 mm (I think)
replacement pinch clamp versions. Those would be your very best
option, as they worked very well, but they will be hard, or
impossible, to find.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org