[T3] Wiper motor

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sun Apr 20 09:25:46 PDT 2014

In a message dated 4/19/2014 8:47:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jazfloyd at gmail.com writes:

Any idea what happened, and the best way to fix it?

Like Jim already mentioned, the wiper arm set screw probably came  loose.
You can try and re-tighten it, but it'll probably do it again. Another  fix
is to file a "flat" on the wiper shaft for the set screw to "bite into".

The best fix, however (if you don't mind it not being 100% correct)  is to
locate a complete 70 only type 3 wiper motor unit (transmission, wiper arms,
and wiper motor), and install it. It's the last year the wiper arms park on
the left (71-on parked on the right), and the wiper shafts still fit into
the stock 70 and earlier body holes in the cowl. You can then either drill
the holes in the cowl out for new larger 70 seals, or you can use  some left
over engine seals out of a complete gasket kit to seal the  shafts to the
cars body. Either way works, as I've done it both  ways.

I did that mod on my 65 Notch 13 years ago, and haven't had an  issue since.
But finding the parts IS the tricky part of that mod, as they are  1 year
only parts. They use the cap nut like the 71-on version. Just so you  know,
none of the 71-on parts interchange, except the 71 wiper switch (as it's
still in the dash), and the aluminum cap nuts.
I hope this helps.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction

Oh well I guess that means the parts I have would be totally useless to him.
Jaz we can still get together some time. I can give you those quarter
glasses I saved out of the 72 SB so you can try what you were talking about
doing with the glass. I hope to get a Square with an auto someday but that
will probably be on down the road so the glass is useless for me right now.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle
67 Ford F-100 (hart of Crown Vic)