[T3] Stuck Wipers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Apr 20 10:18:27 PDT 2014

On 20 Apr 2014 at 9:21, one4house at yahoo.com wrote:

> Along the subject of wipers, mine have always been slow. I have shot
> lube at all of the connections that I can see under the dash. Is there
> a way to, or a need for, lubing the motor itself?

The most likely place for the problem is where the shaft comes out of
the car. The shaft rotates in a long bushing that is the stationary
part that passes from the inside to the outside of the car. The
lubrication between the shaft and the bushing dries out over time and
needs to be redone. The best thing to do is to remove the whole
thing, take it all apart, clean out the old grease, and put in new
grease.

As a test, you can try a drop of oil into that space from the outside
of the car. Do this several times over several days, giving it time
to soak in each time. The bushing is about 2.5" long, so it will take
awhile for the oil to penetrate the full length. If oiling helps,
then you know this is the problem and you can go ahead with the
complete repair.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org