[T3] Stuck Wipers

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Apr 20 11:11:02 PDT 2014

In a message dated 4/20/2014 1:18:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 20 Apr 2014 at 9:21, one4house at yahoo.com wrote:

>  Along the subject of wipers, mine have always been slow. I have shot
>  lube at all of the connections that I can see under the dash. Is there
>  a way to, or a need for, lubing the motor itself?

The most likely  place for the problem is where the shaft comes out of
the car. The shaft  rotates in a long bushing that is the stationary
part that passes from the  inside to the outside of the car. The
lubrication between the shaft and  the bushing dries out over time and
needs to be redone. The best thing to  do is to remove the whole
thing, take it all apart, clean out the old  grease, and put in new
grease.

As a test, you can try a drop of oil  into that space from the outside
of the car. Do this several times over  several days, giving it time
to soak in each time. The bushing is about  2.5" long, so it will take
awhile for the oil to penetrate the full  length. If oiling helps,
then you know this is the problem and you can go  ahead with the
complete repair.

As Jim stated it's probably the lack of grease (or dried out  grease)
that's causing the problem. I've seen that enough times that I  actually pull the
unit, and grease the shafts before using the car.  ;-)
Keep in mind that IF you don't do something soon, you can actually  loosen
up the bushing from the transmission. If that happens, then the bushing
will eat the center of the seal, causing water damage to the inside of the
car. BTDT with my old 76 bug. That's IF you're lucky, that only that happens.
Otherwise, the shaft seizes in the bushing, then completely stops moving,
burning up the wiper motor. :O

If you decide to pull the wiper motor assembly, make sure you  disconnect
power before starting, as the transmission WILL take off a finger.  :O

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction