[T3] Stuck Wipers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Apr 21 20:55:54 PDT 2014

On 21 Apr 2014 at 20:34, one4house at yahoo.com wrote:

> Will do. I'm getting an oil dropper from work tomorrow and starting
> the process. Any specific oil recommendation?

For getting little drops into tight spaces, I often use a small metal
or wood rod; just dip it in the oil and then touch the end to where
you want the oil to go. It will seem difficult at first, but you'll
eventually learn how to keep it from dropping where you don't want
it, or you can just put a rag down around the area, to catch the
errant droplets.

For something like this, you could use engine oil in a pinch, but a
non-detergent oil would probably be better. I have some electric
motor oil that I often use in places like this.

Keep in mind that the shaft is narrowed down, midway inside the
bushing. This creates a space as a reservoir, so the very best
solution is to take everything apart and fill that space with grease.
This will give much longer service than any oil, but it's MUCH more
work. If I do this job the hard way, I use a grease with MoS2 in it.

Some kind of lubrication here is probably an important thing for each
of us to keep in mind. If this is left untreated, the end result can
be a burned out motor, or a bushing that eventually starts to turn
with the shaft, wearing against the hole in the body.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org