[T3] Stuck Wipers

Hal Sullivan tristessa at tristessa.us
Mon Apr 21 22:17:30 PDT 2014

On 04/20/2014 09:21 AM, one4house at yahoo.com wrote:
> Along the subject of wipers, mine have always been slow. I have shot lube at all of the connections that I can see under the dash. Is there a way to, or a need for, lubing the motor itself?
>
> I was driving in the rain the other day and my wipers just stuck in the middle of the window and now they won't work. They come on, but they just stick.

There's a gearbox built into the motor that has grease in it, and that
grease gets hard & sticky after 30+ years.  Haven't done it with my
Fastback yet (the car's in hibernation), but on my Bay-window Bus the
wiper speed was dramatically improved by cleaning all the gunk out of
the wiper-motor gearbox and packing it with fresh white lithium grease
and cleaning/re-greasing the pivots. It's been such an improvement,
other Bus owners have accused me of swapping in a later/faster wiper
motor because my "low" is faster than their "high", and they can't
believe the stock setup can be that good.  :-)