[T3] Rush Ideas

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 05:20:38 PDT 2014

You're so lucky to only have to sort out tiny rust spots like that!
However rust never sleeps, so best try to remove all traces of it.  At least
it won't be easy to see the repair down there!

A Dremel with small grinding stone, or a carbide burr will remove the rust
quickly and accurately.  Treat the metal with a rust treatment to reduce the
chance of it recurring, then use some body filler paste (Bondo?) and rub
down level when hard with 400 grade wet-and-dry.  Finally touch in with
primer and the (Marina blue?) body colour.

You may be lucky to get a good match for the body colour.  It was a popular
colour at the time, but I doubt you can still get the little touch-up
bottles now.  Maybe save a piece of the paint chip and try to find one
similar in your FLAPS (FriendLy AutoParts Store).

VW used to supply as touch-up pen which has a small brush, and a steel
bristle de-rusting end.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club