[T3] Type 3 Axle Beam question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Aug 6 15:36:17 PDT 2014

On 6 Aug 2014 at 17:00, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Jim, while it may be useful to have these "harvested" plastic sleeves in
> hand after you remove the necessary hardware from the '72 beam (wheels,
> calipers, rotors, trailing arms, torsion bars, etc.) to see the *condition,
> existence *or *absence *of those plastic sleeves, maybe we should wait to
> see if they are actually in the beam?

I'm assuming the plastic sleeves are still in the '72 beam. If they
are not, this becomes a more difficult problem, and I would need the
old plastic sleeves, which I don't have yet. I'd also probably need
some slightly different tools. I think it could still be done, but it
would take longer and your car would have to sit there while we
prepared for that job.

Those plastic sleeves are so hard to get out that they must still be
there, but it's possible that they are damaged. That would be fatal
to this beam.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org