[T3] Try, Try Again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Aug 22 06:04:08 PDT 2014

On 21 Aug 2014 16:48, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> I had the pump rebuilt by Adney, but once I put pressure it leaked
> massively.

If it leaks around the pump head, I will fix it for free. If it leaks
around the motor housing or the connector and I never had those parts
apart, I will fix it for the difference in price between the normal
rebuild and the complete rebuild, $50, and I will pay the return
shipping. If you already paid for a complete rebuild, I will fix it
for free and return it at my expense.

I don't remember the full circumstances of your repair: whether you
paid for a complete or partial rebuild, and whether you installed the
pump right away when you got it back. If the pump just needed the
partial rebuild (pump head only, usually all that's required) but the
pump sat for months after you got it back, allowing the motor housing
O-rings to dry out, it will now need those O-rings to be replaced. If
that's the case, that work was not needed when I had the pump, not
done, and not charged for. If it's needed now, you'll need to pay for
it.

O-rings that have been in use for a long time, absorb a small amount
of gasoline. If they are allowed to dry out, they often will no
longer seal and will need to be replaced. New O-rings can be stored
indefinitely without shrinkage.

Once again, I'll fix any fault in my work for free. I'll never ask
you to pay for the same work twice. But you should not expect me to
do new work for free.

Once I get the pump in hand, I can test it, find the leak, easily see
which work I already did, and report back to you.

Did you install the pump right away, once you got it back?

Do you remember whether you paid $75 for a pump head rebuild or $125
for a complete rebuild? That detail would also be on your receipt, if
you still have it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org