[T3] Electrical Oddities

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Aug 24 04:00:12 PDT 2014

Hi Adriel,
If it won't crank (= starter motor isn't turning), it sounds like something
with the ignition/starter switch, or the wiring going to the solenoid, or
the  battery to starter motor wiring, or maybe the earth braid between
transmission and frame (very unlikely).  There is a connector under the
carpet by the passenger seat next to the tunnel - that might have come apart
maybe.

Nothing in that circuit has a fuse, unless there's an extra relay fitted to
activate the solenoid (easy-start relay) to save the ignition/starter
switch.  The 'pop' could be a short circuit, or maybe a wire joint coming
apart while under load.  I have fitted one of those on mine, and some
contain a fuse.

Do the normal 'idiot' lights come on when you turn on the ignition?

What happens when you turn the key to starter?

Check if you have power to the starter motor - the connection direct from
the battery should have 12V all the time.  The other terminal is only
powered when you're trying to start.

You could try connecting them briefly to see if the starter motor turns, but
make sure you chock the wheels, it's out of gear if MT, and the ebrake is
firmly on!  Don't take chances that it will run you over!

Good luck!

BTW, if you don't get a reply to a post, it's sometimes because some of us
don't have an answer, and others may be busy or away. It isn't normally the
fault of the email list.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club