[T3] Tyres

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 03:51:47 PDT 2014

If a tyre wall is badly crazed and crushed, and you believe it is badly
damaged, please don't take a chance with your car and your life by driving
on it. A tyre can 'blow out' even with a tube fitted if the wall gives way.

If the tyre walls are crazed, that's not a problem unless the cracks are
deep enough to see the fabric (applies to cracks in the tread too).  The
tyre walls are what support the car,  not the tread.  The tread is there to
clear water away and improve grip on mud and snow.  Racing car tyres for use
in the dry have no tread (slicks), but simply a thick, smooth layer of
rubber.

Check the inside walls too - they don't get the sun, but can be damaged by
stones etc.

I used to run 'tubeless' radials on my Beetle with tubes, as it doesn't have
the 'humped' safety rims of the later cars. I've also had tubes put in a
repaired Golf (Rabbit) tyre after being punctured with a nail, without
problems, though I think the repair would have been enough anyway.

If the tyres are just to support the car while it is out of use, anything
that holds air is OK, but for driving you need safe tyres (even if you spell
them t-i-r-e-s!).

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club