[T3] Tyres

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 06:08:40 PDT 2014

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - In the Process of Being Dog Wgn 2
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TD-T - Dog Wgn
Master's Student, A.S.U., living in north central Mesa, AZ

> From: dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:51:47 +0100
> Subject: Re: [T3] Tyres
>
> If a tyre wall is badly crazed and crushed, and you believe it is badly
> damaged, please don't take a chance with your car and your life by driving
> on it. A tyre can 'blow out' even with a tube fitted if the wall gives way.
> It isn't just my life, but now also the Service Dog I have had almost four years. She is the reason I can be in the Master's of Architecture! So I can't loose her! She also loves the Square back, too.
If it blows out, the tube is of no use, even a hundred feet to pull to a safe spot?
> If the tyre walls are crazed, that's not a problem unless the cracks are
> deep enough to see the fabric (applies to cracks in the tread too).  The
> tyre walls are what support the car,  not the tread.  The tread is there to
> clear water away and improve grip on mud and snow.  Racing car tyres for use
> in the dry have no tread (slicks), but simply a thick, smooth layer of
> rubber.
> I was told any crazing is bad, but good to hear where the tyre must be tossed. I can tell you the worst is no more than a couple millimeters at most and just where it creased.
I understand the side wall does support. Thus why it bulges and if too much it's unsafe. I found the tires got low enough that the beads came unseated. I found it because I put soap water on the tyres before airing up.
> Check the inside walls too - they don't get the sun, but can be damaged by
> stones etc.
> Interesting! Good to know! So if going on gravel reduce pressure a tad?
> I used to run 'tubeless' radials on my Beetle with tubes, as it doesn't have
> the 'humped' safety rims of the later cars. I've also had tubes put in a
> repaired Golf (Rabbit) tyre after being punctured with a nail, without
> problems, though I think the repair would have been enough anyway.
> So one isn't supposed to run radials on non safety rims? Dad has driven thousands of miles this way! Though never drove over 45MPH even when traffic was going over 70MPH!
Good to know that experience says tubes can be run. Further, it states for radials.
> If the tyres are just to support the car while it is out of use, anything
> that holds air is OK, but for driving you need safe tyres (even if you spell
> them t-i-r-e-s!).
> I figure if low speed short jaunts and I check them often, shouldn't it be safe?
There was a tread about tires, and since I wasn't in my creative ability, just used tyre! ;p
It was Webster and his dictionary that created American English language in the then anti-British furver. So not really our fault! ;p

Thank you so very much!Adriel