[T3] Auto starter inhibitor switch

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 25 19:28:19 PDT 2014

On 26 Aug 2014 at 0:58, Dave Hall wrote:

> I've several 311 927 147 B contact blocks that are part of the automatic
> starter inhibitor system, so you can only start in N up to '71, plus P from
> '72, I think.  Is that right?   Does this part also fitted cars up to '71?
> Anything special needed to do enable that?  There aren't many automatics in
> the UK, and I think you guys in the USA will have the answer.

That's the late version, that allows starting in both P & N. The
screw hole pattern for mounting is different from the early version,
but I THINK this would be a simple mod, requiring drilling 1 new
hole. I haven't done it, but I'll try if I ever need to replace one
of those contact blocks.

Unfortunately, the part that wears out is the moving contact. I
should tool up to make replacements for those. BTW, they are a real
PITA to replace. There's a spring there that is just dying to jump
into never-never land, so the only sure way I've found of doing this
is to tie a few feet of thread to the spring so you can hold on to it
until it's back in place. Then cut the thread.

Next time you make it to an invasion, I'd buy a couple of those
contact blocks from you.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org