[T3] Clutch question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 26 20:41:00 PDT 2014

On 26 Aug 2014 at 19:56, B Fye wrote:

> Look to see if the throw out arm is a short unit.

I was just discussing this with Sarah. The throw out arms on both the
pedal and the tranny both changed (got longer) in early '72. The end
effect is nil, as long as both arms are long or both are short,
although the long arm combo puts less tension on the cable.

BUT, if her pedal cluster has been swapped with a later one, a long
arm in front combined with a short arm in the rear would be a bad
combination.

I've done the other combo, with short in front and long in back, and
that gives a delightful, light pedal. That was actually wonderful.

I'm pretty sure the tranny has the correct '71 short arm, but we'll
pull the cluster and cable tomorrow to see what's up there.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org