[T3] MPGs??

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 29 19:50:00 PDT 2014

> From: dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 11:03:25 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] MPGs??
>

> That may be true, Jim, but we seemed forever to be putting gas in that Yaris
> we rented for the invasion! I suppose it was getting about 30 mpg US
> highway, but we could have done the whole trip on a couple of diesel fills
> on the Golf!
>
> I used to get worse mpg on the FI Fastback than the twin carb Variant - long
> trips gave about 30 mpg Imp on FI as compared with 33 mpg Imp on the carb.
> (times by about 0.8 to get 24 and 26 mpg US). I guess it felt right to
> drive the Fastback FI with a bit more panache!
>
> Dave
> UK VW Type 3&4 Club
> ===================
>
> Interesting, My wife's 2010 Toyota Corolla gets 34MPG and is a slightly
> bigger car than the Yaris. But being a rental who knows what it's been
> through. Golfs are one of the few compact diesels we can get here in the
> US. I've asked various people in the new car world with various manufactures
> why most cars don't have a diesel option here and they all tell me it's
> because of the strict NOx standards the EPA has. I also suspect it's the
> perception the public has of them is an issue as well. Some of the diesel
> cars that were sold here from the late 70s to the mid-80s didn't help that.
> On top of that if our gas prices were like yours folks may be a little more
> open to diesel too but diesel fuel here cost more than gas so another strike
> it has against it here.

Those older V.W. diesels did give a bad reputation to diesel power. The advantage of the diesel then was the cost of a gallon was less than gasoline. Also, Mercedes had trouble getting there gasoline engines to pass emissions, or so I was told. I bought a Mercedes diesel as was sick of dealing with scads of plastic and electronics, reqiring expensive specialty tools! Also, the price of diesel is more stable and doesn't usually top over premium here in the Southwest; sometimes it has been less than regular! Further, if I had to, got a lot of options for fuel. I get 25M.P.G. average and have hit 34M.P.G. twice. Oh and I can't role coal as have a catalyst (one year in California and one reason I chose this particular one).

I love to see more diesels here in the States, especially if we could instead of using corn for fuel use algae or other non-food sources for biodiesel. The issue is the Federal government taking away our liberty without due process! Power to the People!

Thank you so very much!
Adriel

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - In the Process of Being Dog Wgn 2
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TD-T - Dog Wgn
Master's Student, A.S.U., living in north central Mesa, AZ