[T3] MPGs??

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Aug 30 11:00:33 PDT 2014

Sent from my iPad

> On Aug 29, 2014, at 9:26 PM, Adriel Rowley <adriel_rowley at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
>> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
>> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 21:37:40 -0500
>> Subject: Re: [T3] MPGs??
>>
>>> On 24 Jul 2014 at 21:16, Dennis Stiefel wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been checking my gas mileage here lately and it's been lower than I
>>> expected. When I filled up a copula of weeks ago I got about 23 MPG today
>>> when I filled up today it was 22. This was mostly freeway and open high way
>>> driving with an average speed around 70 MPH.
>>
>> For a '72 FI at 70 mi/hr that's pretty typical. If you want better,
>> let up on the gas pedal. 65 helps and 60 makes a big difference.
> I drove 60M.P.H. or less and don't ever recall getting more than 18M.P.G.. Everything was in specification, even Russ went though.
>

> Thank you so very much!
> Adriel

> 1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - In the Process of Being Dog Wgn 2
> 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TD-T - Dog Wgn
> Master's Student, A.S.U., living in north central Mesa, AZ

Well this time I cut my speed average on the interstate down to 60 on the interstate and 50 around town and got a disappointing 20 mpg. I was doing better when I kept her around 70 where she seems like where she wants to run on the freeway.  This is not much better than what my late 60s Frankenstein ford truck gets with the 2000 4.6 police intercepter engine in it.  We now have a new fuel pressure gage at the school now so I may check the numbers on that against the old one.  Who knows it may be a tad high on the fuel pressure. It has always seem to run a little rich every since we got it going. But I've been told by more than one person that D-jet runs on the rich side any way.
Dennis