[T3] MPGs??

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Aug 30 11:58:43 PDT 2014

On 30 Aug 2014 at 13:00, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Well this time I cut my speed average on the interstate down to 60 on
> the interstate and 50 around town and got a disappointing 20 mpg. I
> was doing better when I kept her around 70 where she seems like where
> she wants to run on the freeway.

Yeah, you've still got something wrong. Your '72 should do much
better than that. There's absolutely NO way you should be getting
better mileage at 70 than at 50, unless something is making the
system WAY over-rich at 50.

Things to check:

Fuel pressure 30 psi, as you suggested

Disconnect the cold start valve.

Special '72-only timing, making sure both vacuum advance AND vacuum
retard are working. Only the Bentley gets this timing proceedure
right! Don't do it any other way!

Make sure the mech adv is working. Check this both statically (twist
the rotor) and dynamically (watch with a timing light.)

Make sure the thermostat and linkage is working, opening AND closing.

Make sure the pressure sensor vacuum hose is connected at BOTH ends.
Make sure you have the right pressure sensor. The '72-3 pressure
sensors should have a large black plastic cap over the end.

If those things all check out, it might be worthwhile to check the
continuity of the wiring to and from each of your temp sensors.
You'll have to take the brain out to do this correctly thru the FI
wiring harness, so check to make sure you have an E brain while
you're there.

Other than that, make sure your brakes aren't dragging and that
you're not driving with one foot on the brakes.  ;-p

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org