[T3] Thats It

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 09:22:24 PDT 2014

Hi,
I also live in the Bay Area and have used some mechanics with various luck.
When I lived in San Francisco in 1990 I took a VW repair class once a week
at City College SF Auto Annex on Harrison Street. We would all bring our
buses in and Frank would put them on the lift and point out various things.
He was a vw mechanic doing community service due to a dwi.  You're not
going to find Frank around anymore. You have a couple of choices in the
East Bay, but not the Bus Lab. The Bus Lab specializes in converting
Vanagons to Vanaru's (It removes VW Engine and installs Subaru Legacy
Engines) it does not work on VW engines. Laverre's out in Pacheco? I have
spoken to them they sound more like they do total restorations and body
work - probably would work on your car. The mechanic I use is Tomas Sport
Tuning in Berkeley. There is also a place called Karmakanix. Both of these
shops are located on 4th Street in Berkeley and would be your best bet.
There is also Precision People's Car on San Pablo Avenue that work on older
VWs including type 3's but I no nothing about the owner.

If you absolutely can't drop the motor on your own and replace the cylinder
heads, I would contact Tomas Sport Tuning and ask them if they will run a
compression test to confirm your number 1 and number 3 valve seats are
collapsing, then pull the motor and replace the heads. If you're going to
have a mechanic do anything more than that you should consider purchasing a
rebuilt long block from AVP in Sacramento, shipping it to your mechanic and
having the who engine replaced. The reason for this is you don't want to
pay a garage to start pulling your cylinders off and splitting the case,
that is best left to you in your SF garage with the car manual, or a
reputable type rebuilder. I bought a long block from AVP in 2008 and it's
been pretty reliable so far. One of my exhaust valves is stretching a bit
but is still within range to set the valves.

Chris
70 fastback at