[T3] Right side mirror

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Feb 7 06:10:56 PST 2014

On 7 Feb 2014 at 1:02, Jim Adney wrote:

> It's gonna be next to impossible to find a correct Type 3 RHS mirror,
> but you a RHS Beetle mirror will be much easier to find. The only
> important difference is the locknut that tightens against the
> paintwork on the side of the door. Save your old locknut and use it
> with a Beetle mirror.

BTW, there should be a translucent white flat plastic washer under
that locknut. It seals water out, and keeps the locknut from
destroying the paint. It's vaguely possible that you might still find
one at a dealership, but I have nice replacements here. Mine are
slightly thicker and nicer than the OG parts, but it's something that
almost no one will notice. The originals always crumbled in a few
years; mine seem to last MUCH longer.

The complicated black washers with the shoulder only work with
Beetles and the special Beetle locknut.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org