[T3] Air cleaner Paint

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Feb 10 19:50:21 PST 2014

On 10 Feb 2014 at 18:34, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> Finally found a nice air cleaner for the Squareback. The car has the duel Solix set up.
> My question: Was the entire air cleaner (runners, interior, oil reservoir, painted black.
> The parts were rust free but covered with a thick coating of grease, oil, and dirt. I soaked the parts in Castrol Engine cleaner to loosen it all. Little did I realize it would strip the paint off along with the grime.
> So, the are clean metal ready to paint as per the replies.

Oops!  8-p

I wouldn't have expected that either.

I never thought about this before, but the FI air cleaners all seem
to be painted black inside and out. I'm not sure how they did this,
because the filter coir clearly wasn't painted, at least I don't
think so.

My guess is that you could paint just the outside and everything
would be fine. Perhaps oil the inside passages when you install it,
but the oil bath air cleaner should keep those surfaces covered
thereafter.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org