[T3] Mirrors

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Tue Feb 18 20:08:06 PST 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:11 AM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Mirrors

On 16 Feb 2014 at 15:04, Max Welton wrote:

> Out of curiosity, I'm wondering what is correct and not correct on my 68.
>
> This is the left-side mirror
> http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68/IMG_7994.jpg

That's the better, later version that superceeded the OE version that would
have come with your '68. It's the correct Type 3 replacement.

> and this the right one:
> http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68/IMG_7995.jpg

That's a somewhat unusual RHS mirror made for a Beetle. There are 2
differences: The arm is shorter and it's got the wrong nut. Transfer your
old Type 3 nut to it and it will work pretty well. That beetle nut will
damage the paint. You need a plastic washer under each nut, to seal out
water and to protect the paint. I have nice washers for this. The "knuckle"
on this one is also a bit odd looking.

I REALLY hate to see those Beetle nuts ground down into the Type 3 door
paint. For some reason, the Beetle doors had the mounting nut recessed, so
that nut had to have a different shape, and it took a completely different
black sealing gasket, which you don't have.

> It looks different from the right side mirror I broke:
> http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68/IMG_7996.jpg

That may have been an original '68 mirror, or it might have been one of the
replacments. It has the correct long arm, but you don't show the other half.
On the 68 mirrors, you had to loosen the locknut before you could adjust the
up and down of the mirror. On the later versions, as in your first photo,
you don't.

The later version is much more desirable, and the early versions are
probably all gone by now.

I believe there were lots of different makers of these mirrors, both OG and
aftermarket. Unless you have an original car that you KNOW is still
original, it's impossible to know what YOUR car came with, because it's
likely that not all new Type 3s of the same year came with the exact same
make and design of mirror. There are lots of variations.

I have run to a dilemma with my right side mirror.  Mine just had the plug
with no right mirror.  Back in the 80s I got a right mirror off a 411 in a
junk yard but never put it on and the glass id now bad on it. I got another
one off the 72 SB I got for parts but it's missing the glass as well. When I
went to take the one off the SB the threads on the special chrome nut and
the stud it goes on striped. I guess the only way to fix it is a helicoil.
Has anybody had this to happen?  Here is a photo of both top is off the SB
the bottom is off the 411.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201597633758907&set=a.129472976456
9.2038351.1120060951&type=3&theater

Dennis Stiefel