[T3] mirrors...

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed Feb 19 19:26:08 PST 2014

Hi there
Take those "shells," or housings to a reputable glass shop and and have them
cut one to fit...tell them not to use an acid based silicone adhesive, (they
should know this), and they'll bevel the edges and it should look good.
I've done this several times over the years with excellent results from a
conscientious, (and conscious), glass retailer.
Be certain to do all the internal adjustments and repairs, (including rust
control), while the glass is out.  This includes those mirrors with silver
problems that can't be used.  If one is careful with these, and the glass
can be removed intact, (or close to it), the glass folks will be happier to
have a pattern from which to work.  If it's intact, save the old glass for
your future use.
Best regards,
FE Meek

Yea the glass is no problem.   A friend of the family own a glass shop here
in town and has worked with air cooled VWs so he can cut those for me.  The
problem I have is the one off the 411 has broke the stud where the nut goes
on behind the glass.  I will have to brain storm how I can fix that.  And as
I said the one that came off the SB has the threads stripped on the stud and
special nut that goes on the bottom. Like I said maybe I can find a Helacoil
that would work.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle