[T3] pop-out windows on a fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jan 10 09:42:45 PST 2014

On 10 Jan 2014 at 9:04, Tony Rongey wrote:

> That bending glass thing just freaks the heck out of me every time I
> open mine. What were those guys smoking when they dreamed that up?

I view it as a perfect example of great engineering. They bend, but
they never break. Those guys knew EXACTLY what they were doing.

We all tend to think of materials as falling strictly into 2 groups:
rigid or flexible. But nothing is perfectly rigid; everything's
flexible to some extent; it's just a matter of degree. I tend to
think about this every time I see one of those aluminum flatbed
semi-trailers. Notice that they usually have quite a bit of arch to
them, but I'll bet they're flat when they're loaded to their full
capacity.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org