[T3] Distributer placement/Timing

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jan 13 13:38:47 PST 2014

On 13 Jan 2014 at 10:30, rheorojo at F wrote:

> Is this an issue (improperly seated distributor)that would result in
> the timing drifting out within 50-100 miles? I've had a similar issue
> where, I time the car (73 sqbk auto) and within 50-100 miles it's out
> buy 4-5 degrees. The distributer clamp was deformed some so I have
> replaced it.

No, improper seating won't cause drift, although it can cause sudden
dramatic changes in the timing, changes that are usually large enough
to stop the engine.

General drifting, always in the direction toward greater dwell, are
almost always caused by wear of the rubbing block on the ignition
points. A certain amount of wear is normal and expected, but the
rubbing block should wear a bit then settle in and become relatively
stable.

The points cam should be cleaned and re-lubricated at every tuneup.
If you don't do this, the grease picks up grit which wears both the
rubbing block and the steel cam. Make sure to clean all the dirty
grease off both the cam AND the rubbing block each time, before
applying a smear of fresh grease.

One of the important things I do in a dist rebuild is grind down wear
paths in the cam. These won't happen if you keep your cam nicely
lubricated, but over 40 years, most dists have seen fairly long
periods of neglect that leave them in bad shape.

If I get the dist clamp with a dist for a rebuild, I'll also
straighten it. They are usually deformed by people who think more is
better when tightening them. They only need to be snug, just enough
to keep the dist from turning by hand. That turns out to take very
little tightness.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org