[T3] ZDDP options

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Tue Jan 14 19:08:45 PST 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Don
Robertson
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 8:45 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] ZDDP options

You will want to use at least a 15-40 weight in a diesel tractor, maybe
heavier if it is really hot when the tractor works hard.

I have had many farming types tell me that the very best oil for hard
working farm diesel equipment is the stuff sold by John Deere under their
own name.  I don't think they are in the oil business, so they likely have
it branded by a major producer, but I don't know who that is.  However all
the local farmers swear by it.  They likely have it made to their own specs.

We have a little 72" John Deere mower powered by a three cylinder Yanmar
diesel engine that works it's little guts out in the summer (runs wide open
for hours at a time), so I break down and buy the John Deere oil for it.
The machine is about 26 years old and has been cutting a 2000' x 80' runway
all that time, and is still on the original engine, and doesn't burn any oil
between changes (50 hours).