[T3] ZDDP options

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed Jan 15 11:03:11 PST 2014

On 15 Jan 2014 at 9:55, B Fye wrote:

> I'm going to get some resistance for this... But I have talked with
> the folks at Engle Cams about it. After your cam and lifters are
> seasoned and broken in, additive is no longer needed.  After the first
> (non break in) oil change, I run the cheapest non synthetic on the
> shelf.

I'm gonna step in and agree with this. There's a lot to be said for doing a
good break-in, but after that I just use a decent oil. What I've been buying
lately is a 15W-40 house brand Diesel oil that comes in 2 gallon jugs. If
you read the small print on the back, it's also labeled for SJ use, so it's
not the latest S rated oil, but that's probably a good thing. The latest S
grade oils have reduced (or eliminated (I don't know which) some of the
additives for the sake of the catylitic converters. Since we don't have
those, the earlier oils are actually better for us.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Yes I've heard that Bryan.   Jim I have heard that about with Diesel oil and
catalytic converters too. What I don't understand is a lot of diesels have
had cats on them for years.  When I worked on school buses we had some as
old as 97s with cats on them.  They had a Ford B-700 chassis with a 5.9
Cummins engine.  The cat was built in the mufflers and we had to replace one
of them and it was a $2300 muffler. That's how I remember that.  So how is
the additives in the diesel oils like Rotella and Delo not harming these set
ups in the later model  Diesel?  Guess it is not important as far as our
cars are concerned.  Maybe the cats are different in these than the gas.
Also they have been putting cats on cars here in the US since 1975 and it
took them that long to figure out this stuff damages the cat?

Dennis