[T3] Advice for removing rusted stock exhaust

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 11:22:38 PST 2014

Dave, Dennis, & Jim,

Thanks for your advice, I'll try to completely remove the clamps between
the upper and lower heat exchangers (they are loose right now).  I will
also try applying some heat to where the muffler connects to the heat
exchanger.

> It is a stock set up (with rear heat exchangers in great shape).  I have
> > removed the 4 nuts (2 on each side) from the rear of the cylinder heads
> > that hold on the rear heat exchangers.  I have also loosened all the
> clamps
> > on the rear heat exchangers.  I have removed those two bracket things (1
> on
> > each side) which connect the exhaust to the front heat exchangers (some
> > crusty white stuff remains in that junction).  The big threaded junction
> > between the rear heat exchangers and the exhaust are rusted shut, but I'm
> > hoping I can remove the exhaust / rear heat exchangers as 1 unit and deal
> > with the rusted junction later.
>
> You're correct in not trying to free the threaded connections between
> the upper HEs and the muffler. Those can usually only be undone by
> destroying the muffler, so plan to use the whole assembly until the
> muffler is shot.

I know that this is likely what I'll need to do (reuse the muffler), which
is a shame because I've been holding onto a NOS muffler that I would love
to use, but of course I don't have a set of the rear/upper heat exchangers
(unless I can separate these from the salvage engine).  I will try to
remove the upper heat exchangers from the salvage muffler at some point,
but if I cannot free them I will plan to reuse this muffler.  The salvage
yard destroyed the tailpipe, so I will at least need to replace that.

> Try to save the
> small rubber bellows at the fan housing outlets, because those are
> impossible to find in good condition.

Unfortunately, those were completely shot (swiss cheese would have worked
better).

> If the connections between the muffler and the lower HEs is still
> stuck, I'd try to cut a wood block to fit the curve of the muffler so
> you can hit it with a hammer without damaging the muffler. If it's
> still tight, try heating the muffler tubes where it overlaps the
> lower HE. If you can get it dull red at least part way around, that
> should expand it enough to free it from the HE.

Great idea on the wood block.  I will resort to this if the heat does not
help.