[T3] Kickdown solenoid

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jan 19 08:19:39 PST 2014

On 19 Jan 2014 at 6:04, Adam Douglass wrote:

> It is finally alive! It took 3 transmissions to make one (the last of
> which was bought with a custom bullet hole), but it works better than
> it ever. Shifting is better. It downshifts with the stroke of the gas.
> I'm a happy man.

Congratulations!

> What do those of you running carbs do with the kickdown plug on the
> side of the tranny? Just leave it uncovered? Mine downshifts fine. And
> I don't have a kickdown switch by the throttle. I was just curious.

There's no need to do anything with it. It will collect dirt, but the
dirt can't get into the AT that way. If you add a kickdown switch
later you may have to dig the dirt out to make the connection.

> What is regulating my downshifts? It's the vacuum module doing double
> duty?

The VM works in both directions. The kickdown just adds a faster
downshift at full throttle.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org