[T3] 034 on Squareback

Max Welton max_welton_2k at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 15:32:39 PST 2014

I was actually thinking about the difference in setting up intake and ignition dynamics
between manual and automatic cars. A lot of the difficulties I've experienced with
manual cars is that off-idle transition as you engage the clutch both from a dead
stop and when changing gears.

I'll bet with an automatic, many of the problems that show up at low RPMs (below
the stall speed of a torque converter) are just not as significant. You basically just
open the throttle and keep it open until you are the desired speed.

Such things as vacuum advance that is load-dependent and accelerator pumps
maybe less important. So I'm thinking an 034 might not help as much on an
automatic as it might on a manual.

Thoughts?

Max Welton
http://www.maxwelton2k.net/