[T3] 034 on Squareback

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Jan 20 16:07:08 PST 2014

In a message dated 1/20/2014 6:32:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
max_welton_2k at yahoo.com writes:

I was actually thinking about the difference in setting up intake  and
ignition dynamics
between manual and automatic cars. A lot of the  difficulties I've
experienced with
manual cars is that off-idle transition  as you engage the clutch both from
a dead
stop and when changing  gears.

I'll bet with an automatic, many of the problems that show up at  low RPMs
(below
the stall speed of a torque converter) are just not as  significant. You
basically just
open the throttle and keep it open until  you are the desired speed.

Such things as vacuum advance that is  load-dependent and accelerator pumps
maybe less important. So I'm thinking  an 034 might not help as much on an
automatic as it might on a  manual.

Thoughts?

I hadn't really thought much about the differences, since I've only had  an
AT car with either Solex carbs and an 009, or with FI and a 205 AB. But
what you're pointing out might be what you're thinking it is. The off idle
transitions that an MT car see, are 1 of the main reasons I went to an 034.

But you do bring up a couple of good points, in that an 034 would  probably
be a little better off the line, and at cruise, but the rest of the  time
it might act more like an 009. I only say that, as the 034 would allow a
better initial timing setting (0, 7.5 or something like that), then act like
an 009  (be all in) until you reach the desired speed, then it would add  a
little vac advance at cruise speeds (bump it from say 28 to 32 degrees). Is
this what you're meaning? I could see that getting the "idle while in gear"
timing might be a challenge with AT, as the convertor loads the engine
while  in gear, and doesn't when in neutral or park. This is 1 of the biggest
issues  when using carbs and AT.

I know a guy with Solexs and an 009 AT combo, and while it's dead off the
line, it does seem to run pretty decent once up to speed. He's currently out
 of state, with the car partly torn apart at a relatives house, so I can't
ask  him any questions about it.

Bob 65 Notch  S w/Sunroof and IRS aka Krusty
64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71 Square-vert  under construction