[T3] Mechanical Fuel Pump Vapor Lock

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 23 08:04:16 PST 2014

Regarding this odd stumbling behaviour a minute after a hot startup,
it occurrs to me that it MIGHT be due to water that has settled to
the bottom of something: the gas tank, the fuel pump, or the float
bowl.

I suspect this is probably NOT your problem, but I think it's worth
mentioning that a cracked overflow hose (only exists on '68 and later
Type 3s) will cause problems with both FI and carbed cars.

If you haven't already installed one of my kits to repair this
problem area, you should do so. They are cheap, effective, longer
lasting than the original part, and they will save you lots of money
down the road by avoiding water damage to your fuel system.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org