[T3] One cylinder dead-not firing-#3

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 25 03:15:10 PST 2014

Voice of experience, so thought I will just add despite being late... Been swamped until I just got sick...
> From: jadney at vwtype3.org> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 17:00:13 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] One cylinder dead-not firing-#3
>
> On 21 Jan 2014 at 16:31, John L. Morgan IV wrote:
>
> > valve three has 0 compression after a compression test. estimate was
> > $1200 for a valve job, but not recommended on an old engine. could it be
> > getting 0 compression if a simple injector cable is bad?
>
> Nothing FI related will make the compression go to zero.
>
> It would be really unusual to be getting ZERO compression. There's
> usually something there. And $1200 for a valve job sounds extreme. Is
> this from the same mechanic that you took it to before?
>
> I'd get a second estimate.
>
> How willing and able are you to do some of the work yourself? If the
> compression is truly zero, the left head must be destroyed. You
> should be able to buy a new head, complete, for 1/4 of that price and
> put it in yourself, but that's a fair amount of work if you've never
> done any of this before. If you've got head studs pulling out of the
> case, then you're in for a complete engine rebuild to fix this.
> I can tell you it is about as easy to R. and R. an engine than it is to R. and R. a head in situation, especially if the block doesn't have case savers. If your case doesn't have case savers, just be safe and remove the engine.
The issue with removing a head in situation is limited space, especially torquing the head studs. I believe this was part of the reason I pulled mine.
What ever you do, don't use the self tapping unless you are a long way from home and need to get back. The self tapping causes a large case saver to be used and isn't inexpensive.
While we are on the voice of experience, don't put a high lift camshaft in a magnesium case unless you sleeve the lifter bores.

Hope this helps and thank you!Adriel