[T3] One cylinder dead-not firing-#3

Tony Rongey trongey at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 21 18:30:54 PST 2014

As others have mentioned already, zero compression sounds really odd, but maybe that's just your mechanic's way of saying "not enough compression to matter".
$1200 seems way out of line.  You can almost get a complete rebuilt long block for that.  You can definitely pick up a running used engine for less.
Is it the end?  That's pretty much up to you.  These engines are built so that every part is replaceable, and until you get to the T3 specific part like the cooling tins and FI parts they're all readily available.
I just replaced that same head on my car last weekend.  Dropped the engine Friday afternoon, swapped the head Saturday afternoon, and put the engine back in Sunday afternoon.  If I hadn't had so many interruptions it would have been running Monday morning, but I had to finish up Monday evening.  It wasn't fun, it wasn't easy, but it was definitely doable, and unless you live in Antarctica there's probably a VW club in your town that's full of people who would love to help out.

Good Luck,
Tony
'70 Fastback AT/FI daily driver