[T3] spare tire barrel

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Jan 28 07:30:26 PST 2014

In a message dated 1/28/2014 10:13:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

Interesting, I never realized that the spare tire well changed with
the body style; I thought they were all alike. I just checked my old
parts book and I see 2 versions listed: a plain and a "C" version. I
wonder what happened to A & B.

The A and B were very early, in that they used multiple screws to hold  the
well in place. I think my 65 Notch uses 3 screws across the top (probably
the "B" version), while my T-34 used 7 or 8 screws to hold it in place (T-34
 only part). I don't know if the very early cars (62-63) got the clip in
the  inside bottom of the front apron or not (I'm not really up on the very
early cars), but if it didn't, then VW would have used more screws across the
 very bottom of the tire well (and were definitely the "A" version).
You have to remember, VW was constantly fine tuning the early cars,  trying
to eliminate some of the extra parts (reduce costs), and that tire well
could very well be a spot to cut costs on.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction