[T3] rear trunl problem

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Jan 29 07:19:05 PST 2014

In a message dated 1/29/2014 8:39:20 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
alluringeyewear at comcast.net writes:

Hello all! Today when I opened my rear trunk to do an oil change,  the
trunk opened as usual. The wind blew the lid closed and when I went to  reopen
it, either the cable snapped or something else went screwy. The lever  on the
door pillar has no resistance whatsoever. How do I a: open my trunk and  b:
install a new cable? Are these still available or does anyone have one for
sale? Thanks Doug "Leilani" '73 Fastback FI

I'd try pushing down on the trunk lid a few times, and then see IF  it'll
release. If it doesn't, then try what's written below.
If you're sure the cable broke, then the only way to access it to  replace
it, is thru the left rear inner door card (back seat). You'll  have to
remove the rear seat bottom for sure, and possibly the upper half to  get that
panel out. In the front of that opening is where the cable attaches  to the
lever (there's a small access hole), and IF you have a pair of locking  needle
nose vice grips, you can clamp onto the cable and pull it. If that  doesn't
release the trunk, or the cable doesn't come out, then you have  something
jamming the latch itself. This will require doing something  else to get it
to release.

Just a note, that cable (solid wire) shouldn't break, as it really  doesn't
get much of a load put on it, even when trying to open the latch. I  should
point out, that the latch is designed to release the pin IF the cable
breaks. VW set that latch up like that, in the case that IF the cable ever
broke, the trunk could still be accessed. I hope this helps.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction