[T3] Heads are toast, rebuild time

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 30 10:50:47 PST 2014

On 30 Jan 2014 at 8:35, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 7:22 AM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:
>
> > Were you the one who said he had some correct OG heads and that this
> > car was a '73? If so, this would be a good time to get them freshened
> > up and ready to install, regardless.
> >
> That is correct except I have a '72.  The heads currently on the engine are
> Brazilian universal heads (with the tap for FI).  I have 3 sets of OG '72
> heads.  Although, I just noticed last night that of the 3 sets, I have 4
> heads with a FI sensor tap (same casting # too), and 2 without -- so it
> looks like I have 4 3/4 heads and 2 1/2 heads.  So long as I have a FI
> sensor tap on the correct side, the heads are interchangeable left for
> right, correct?

Okay, '72 & '73 heads are the same, so you're set up just fine.
Having an extra with the temp sensor port is a blessing. It will work
on the right just fine, but you should hold on to it, because nothing
else will work correctly on your left. If you end up with a good
extra pair of those heads, the ones with the vent ports, I'd buy them
from you someday. They are hard to find.

> > > The last time I checked, I had 14 volts at idle at the battery and maybe
> > > 14.2 at mid/high RPM.  I could not get it any higher even with increasing
> > > revs.  I have not done anything to the generator since I took it from the
> > > old engine and put it on the new one in 1997.
> >
> > The voltage at idle is irrelevant, but the 14.2 V indicates that your
> > charging system is working nicely, assuming you would still get that
> > same number today.
> >
> Great.  That measurement was this past fall (~ 3 months ago).  I can check
> again, but I don't suspect it to have changed drastically.

It's worth checking again, because it can change quickly, once the VR
starts to wear out.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org