[T3] Heads are toast, rebuild time

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 11:34:29 PST 2014

> > On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 7:22 AM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Were you the one who said he had some correct OG heads and that this
> > > car was a '73? If so, this would be a good time to get them freshened
> > > up and ready to install, regardless.
> > >
> > That is correct except I have a '72.  The heads currently on the engine
> are
> > Brazilian universal heads (with the tap for FI).  I have 3 sets of OG '72
> > heads.  Although, I just noticed last night that of the 3 sets, I have 4
> > heads with a FI sensor tap (same casting # too), and 2 without -- so it
> > looks like I have 4 3/4 heads and 2 1/2 heads.  So long as I have a FI
> > sensor tap on the correct side, the heads are interchangeable left for
> > right, correct?
>
> Okay, '72 & '73 heads are the same, so you're set up just fine.
> Having an extra with the temp sensor port is a blessing. It will work
> on the right just fine, but you should hold on to it, because nothing
> else will work correctly on your left. If you end up with a good
> extra pair of those heads, the ones with the vent ports, I'd buy them
> from you someday. They are hard to find.

I am fortunate to have purchased my car with the original engine (which had
thrown a rod) and a spare engine (from a donor 1972).  I also lucked out in
finding another original 1972 engine from a local salvage yard.  I have no
need for all these parts, so once I get a good set of heads rebuilt for my
engine, I'd be happy to sell the remaining good stock.  These are the kinds
with the vent ports in the heads and I'm excited to get these back on my
car.  Some year I hope to lug most of my duplicate parts to a T3 Invasion
for sale/swap.

> maybe
> increasing
> from the
> > >
> > > The voltage at idle is irrelevant, but the 14.2 V indicates that your
> > > charging system is working nicely, assuming you would still get that
> > > same number today.
> > >
> > Great.  That measurement was this past fall (~ 3 months ago).  I can
> check
> > again, but I don't suspect it to have changed drastically.
>
> It's worth checking again, because it can change quickly, once the VR
> starts to wear out.

Good to know.  I'll check it now while I have the engine in the car and
running.